Michel Rojkind was born in Mexico City, where he coursed studies of Architecture and Urban Planning at the Universidad Iberoamericana (1989- 1994). In 2002 he founded Rojkind Arquitectos a firm focusing on design, tactical an experiential innovation. While addressing the challenges of contemporary life, his goal is to design compelling architectural and urban planning solutions that go beyond mere functionality and become integral experiences that connect the intricacies of each project at a deeper level and positively impact our society an the environment.
As Design Principal Rojkind leads the firm in the creative process by promoting a continuous state of active awareness fueled by research, cross-pollination and context sensitivity. Under his guidance the firm has been short-listed to participate in several large-scale international projects, in Mexico, Canada, Kuwait, China, Dubai, Singapore and Spain.
He has been a visiting professor at the Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) in L.A. and at the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IACC) in Barcelona. Rojkind has participated as juror for several international awards and competitions and has lectured in many different countries.
Rojkind has gained international acclaim by being featured in numerous well-known architectural publications. In 2011, he was named by Wallpaper* magazine as one of the “150 Movers, Shakers and Makers That Have Rocked the World in the Last 15 Years.” The Los Angeles Times named Michel Rojkind among the “Faces to Watch in 2010.” Also in 2010, Rojkind was selected by the Architectural League of New York as “Emerging Voices.”
His recent lectures at international conferences have also brought the firm notoriety: Architectural Record magazine’s “Innovation”, 2011; TEDx, 2010; and 3rd Holcim Forum for Sustainable Construction in 2010, World Architecture Festival (WAF) in 2013 and Design Indaba during 2014.
Perhaps two of the most meaningful commendations Rojkind has received are from his native country. In 2010, Rojkind was named as one of the “Country’s Treasured Architects” by the Mexican Civil Registry, he was featured by ProMexico Magazine as one of the “50 Mexican Names in the Global Creative Scene” and “..one of the most influential architects of contemporary Mexican scene” in 2013 by Forbes Magazine.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- 2014 Progressive Architecture Citation Award (P/A Awards) for Liverpool Department Store, Insurgentes
- 2013 EHI and EuroShop RetailDesign Awards worldwide forLiverpool Department Store, Interlomas
- 2013 The Retail Design Institute’s International Store Design Award of new Departmental Store or complete remodeling for Liverpool Department Store, Interlomas.
- 2013 1st Place in Innovative Planning by the Retail Design Institute for Liverpool Department Store, Interlomas
- 2012 Store of the Year by Chain Store Age for Liverpool Department Store, Interlomas
- 2012 AIA WMR, Citation Award for Tori Tori Restaurant.
- 2012 AIA Colorado, Merit Award for Tori Tori Restaurant.
- 2012 AIA Denver,Chapter, Merit Award for Liverpool Department
- 2012 AIA Denver, Chapter Citation Award for Tori Tori Restaurant.
- 2012 Azure People´s Choice Awards 2012 for Tori Tori Restaurant.
- 2011 Archdaily’s Building of the Year 2011 Award Winner for Tori Tori Restaurant.
- 2011 WAN Commercial Award, Shortlisted for Liverpool Department
- 2011 Interior Design’s Best of Year 2011 Award Winner for Tori Tori Restaurant
- 2011 Marcus Prize, Nomination, USA
- 2010 National Archive Museum “Lecumberri”, Mexico City, Mexico Honorable Mention, Invited Competition
- 2010 Iakov Chernikhov Prize, Nomination, Russia
- 2009 Tamayo Museum Atizapan Extension (In collaboration with BIG) 1st Prize, Invited Competition for the development of the architectural project for the Tamayo Museum Extension in Atizapan de Zaragoza, State of Mexico, Mexico
- 2009 Cityscape Dubai Awards 2009, Shortlisted
- 2009 Ordos Prize, Nomination, China
- 2009 Marcus Prize, Nomination, USA
- 2008 Iakov Chernikhov Prize, Nomination, Russia
- 2008 The International Architecture Award, Nestlé Toluca selected as one of the best realized designs around the world.
- 2007 British Museum Awards, Nestle Toluca nominated for the best 10 Buildings.
- 2007 Marcus Prize, Nomination, USA
- 2005 “Open House: Intelligent living by design”,Invitation by VITRA Design Museum
- 2006 Iakov Chernikhov Prize, Russia
- 2006 “World Forum for Architecture and Design”, Germany
- 2005 Architectural Record’s Design Vanguard, rojkind arquitectos selected as one of the best 10 international firms
- 2002 Best Architectural Renders, Graphisoft, Hungary
- 2002 Record Houses of the Year, Architectural Record